market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] burning firewood

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] burning firewood
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 21:55:49 -0800 (PST)

Errol Castens wrote:

>Maybe your note had nothing to do with greenhouse gases, Jay Gee, but if it
>did, remember that rotting trees give up their carbon, too. If it's about
>reducing carbon dioxide, you'll cut trees for lumber and keep it from
>rotting OR burning.

The release of CO2 from wood is a function of how quickly it
is oxidized if I understand the process correctly.

It seems to me that some of that CO2 might not be released if
the wood is eaten, say by termites, and the CO2 in the wood
is processed into something else through digestion, etc.
I have not spent vast amounts of time studying the subject,
but it strikes me that Nature works slowly when it comes to
these things. The environment seems to be a giant reprocessing
plant when left to its own devices. No fuss, no muss, no waste.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming