market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] USDA pastured poultry changes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] USDA pastured poultry changes
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:34:18 -0600

Rick W.

Restaurants can no longer purchase farm processed poultry. It has to come
through a USDA plant as of December 2002.

Your area will probably not see the pressure we will here. There are a
couple of hundred pastured poultry people in this area and we are sitting in
the heart of Tyson country.

There has been talk of disallowing free range poultry with the imminent
danger of avian infections. One of my market friends lives next to a
contract grower. He kept giving them so much trouble about their laying
hens running around they finally got rid of them so as to relieve the hassle
from the neighbor.

You don't need to preach to me about involvement with farm organizations.
With the proposed meat labeling laws I spent half of last week on the phone
with grassroots groups calling from DC to Chicago.

Rick H.