market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:33:40 -0600

Rick Hopkins wrote:
> I have been in touch with Bob Drake and others the past few years
> regarding
> GLCI, and other than testimony and a little ineffective lobbying, I have
> seen no results.

Rick, I am realizing that with you, it is either your way or nothing. If
you consider the placement of key grazing consultants in various states like
ours, as ineffective, and many of the other conservation initiatives in the
farm bill, then so be it.

> I would not classify GLCI as being the main grazing
> advocate in the U.S. unless we qualify that to mean grazing range lands.

It is a big tent organization. Of course it would include range lands and
anything in terms of grazing in the country.

> The American Forage and Grassland Council has been more effective in
> advocating grazing support for our kinds of operations.

Rick, AFGC is one of the affiliated organizations that makes up the umbrella
group you just trashed.

GLCI is a consortium of different folks who try to find common ground and
work together to lobby for funding, particularly for long term results
....and that often means education. Handouts are short term. We look long
term.

American Farm Bureau Federation
American Forage and Grassland Council
American Sheep Industry
Dairy Industry
National Association of Conservation Districts
National Cattlemen's Beef Association
National Farmers Union
Society for Range Management
Soil and Water Conservation Society.

> Funny you asked about Missouri Farm Bureau membership. We were just
> discussing that very thing this week here. Even the members don't know.
> This would indicate that their
> membership
> claims are made up mostly of urban dwellers.

And what is wrong with that? It is a very clever approach to get the money
through the businesses we own. Then that money can go for lobbying efforts,
young farmer program, and other programs they have for leadership which they
are big on. Otherwise, you might as well sell off the companies. And that
sometimes happens as in Iowa when they decided to disband one of the
companies and was grossly misrepresented to the public on the 60 minutes
program.

It is important to point out here that only farmers (liberal interpretation)
are voting members. The other members are only non-voting associate members
like that whacky and phony "shocked" banker on the 60 mins program. She is
just a policyholder, not a voting member.

> You missed the point in my example. In Missouri the corporate
> sponsors sit
> on one side of the room and the membership driven groups sit on the other.

With which group? The Missouri Farm Bureau? In Wisconsin, we don't have any
corporate input at all except we will sometimes accept corporate sponsorship
for programs such as young farmer where the prize is use of a large tractor
for 1000 hours or something of the sort.

As you know, but maybe many others here do not know, if you buy a new Dodge
Truck, and make your best deal, you can get an additional $500 off the
price. I am not a Chrysler buyer but for those who are, FB membership is
basically free.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams