market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ok, potting soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ok, potting soil
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:55:09 -0600

Leigh,
I don't make a whole mess of seed starter, but I suppose one could - I
use coir and worm castings - from red wrigglers - for my plants, and add a
bit of various amendments - alfalfa meal, sea kelp, azomite - but just teeny
teeny bits of those. I water with liquid sea kelp to start, and every so
often.
I use composted goat bedding for transplants, along with some other
stuff.
The alfalfa is more sustainable, as it can be obtained locally - and the
worm castings too. I picked the coir because it less finite than peat.

The mix does absolutely great for seedlings. - Jill