market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:33:39 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:20:09 -0600, Rick Williams wrote:

>There just aren't enough customers in our area to provide for a family
>income for most direct farm marketers. We have a few CSA's, one large one
>that is the exception, but even with their gross sales, their net is not
>fantastic.

If there are not enough bodies in your area to support a farm, you
have two choices: 1.) Expand the size of your market area through
advertising; or, 2.) Absorb the losses that farming produces (be they
$ losses or time spent without reward). A third alternative is to stop
farming.

If you realize that there is no market, then either find new ones, or
do something for which there is a market, or reduce the scale of
your operation to that of a hobbyist, forget tax deductibility, and
occupy your newly freed time with something else.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming