market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 00:00:54 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote in part:

>Most people want to buy their food at a large discount grocery store for
>convenience and price and choice. We have three big ones within a mile of
>each other on the Onalaska/La Crosse interface so they have a lot of
>"choice." Buying grass-fed beef is not one of their choices. Most are only
>interested in tenderness and taste. And we have that. They will tell us that.

Most people want to buy their food where it is convenient,
affordable and they feel appreciated. They don't want to
drive seventy miles. Can you blame them?

As for prices, affordability is variable, and a function of
income level. The more money someone earns and has
as disposable, the more likely they are to have little free
time to spend running around creation picking up food.

> But it is not often that someone comes all the way from the greater La
>Crosse area. It is a sort of inertia thing when I ask them.

Would you drive to LaCrosse for a hamburger?

>Even with our current special for the month of February on our steaks ($1/lb
>discount) and free delivery if over $50, we have had almost no takers. This
>was to a small mailing of what we viewed as highly qualified prospects.

From a marketer's perspective, a little advice on pricing, discounts
and consumer perceptions. Unless the $1/lb discount represents
at least 20% off your regular price, don't expect much response.
Consumers are not usually moved by discounts less than 20%
and really start to move at discounts upwards of 35%.

You may say discounting 35% leaves you no profit, but neither
does dumping unsold perishable product. As for using a price
markdown offer on existing customers, don't be surprised if that
doesn't work because they buy at your normal price and are
unmoved to load up for a small discount.

Use large discounts only when they are advertised widely and
for the express purpose of attracting new customers. They are
like free samples only not so expensive for you.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming