market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Palmer <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 07:23:57 -0800 (PST)

--- jay gee <jgj23 AT mindspring.com> wrote:
> Rick Williams wrote in part:
>
> >Most people want to buy their food at a large
> discount grocery store for
> >convenience and price and choice.
This is where you have to promote the benefits of
buying farm direct.
> Most people want to buy their food where it is
> convenient,
> affordable and they feel appreciated.
Make a point of remembering your customers names and a
little about them and how much you appreciate doing
business with them.

> As for prices, affordability is variable, and a
> function of
> income level. The more money someone earns and has
> as disposable, the more likely they are to have
> little free
> time to spend running around creation picking up
> food.
Know your customer base, do you want to sell to folks
looking for discounts or to bring in the higher income
people that price is not a priority.

> From a marketer's perspective, a little advice on
> pricing, discounts
> and consumer perceptions. Unless the $1/lb discount
> represents
> at least 20% off your regular price, don't expect
> much response.
> Consumers are not usually moved by discounts less
> than 20%
> and really start to move at discounts upwards of
> 35%.
I think that is very true.

As for
> using a price
> markdown offer on existing customers, don't be
> surprised if that
> doesn't work because they buy at your normal price
> and are
> unmoved to load up for a small discount.
> Use large discounts only when they are advertised
> widely and
> for the express purpose of attracting new customers.
> They are
> like free samples only not so expensive for you.
We sell our already picked strawberries for the same
price or higher as any other stand in our area and
have no problem selling all we can pick. Price is not
a problem when you have quality and service. We are in
the process of building our u-pick market, our price
is lower then any place around and we advertise that
heavily, each year we've been seeing a big increase on
u-pick.
In business there are three things you need- Quality,
good service, and the cheapest price. But to make a
profit and stay in business you can only have two of
the three, you have to decide which two.
Don Palmer-western NY
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.palmersfarm.com