market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:27:35 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote:

>Farming and acting are quite different. Acting is an extremely limited
>profession in terms of the numbers who can aspire to it.
>
>Your comparison would be more valid with pro sports. Only a few with luck
>and talent can ever enter.

Not so. There are far more working stage, television and
motion picture actors than there are NFL, NBA, WNBA, and
MLB players. Throw in commercial actors and the number
goes off the scale relative to pro sports.

>With farming, as in many occupations or endeavors, almost anyone can become
>involved at the level that they aspire to.

Again, not so. Aspiring to a level does not get you there.
Many people aspire to pitch in the major leagues, few
attain it because of the skills and mental discipline required.

>Our farm is highly diversified and has dairy heifers, stockers, dairy beef,
>produce, bird products. Of those, dairy beef direct marketed has the highest
>return the way we do it. But it is not easy and the market as I have

When you are unable to tap your market, profits are always
thin or nonexistent.

>populations with very few farmers. We literally could have 1,000 direct
>marketers in our county if all the dairy farmers decided to do so with their
>dairy beef. But there are not nearly enough buyers. So there will be a

I'm sure the U.S. market could absorb your area's 1,000 direct marketers
if they approached the business from a marketing perspective. They
and you don't need to find buyers next door if you are willing to go
elsewhere.

Cattle ranchers have always taken their beef to market. Instead of
driving them there, you need to ship them -- postumously.

(-:

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming