market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:27:19 -0600

Jay Gee,

Your insight into discounts is helpful. Our experiences support many of
your points and customer perception is a big one.

We didn't intend to have a petting zoo, but with my wife's horse needing
companions and the sheep needing predator control we now have a couple of
goats, three miniature donkeys, and a blind lamb (actually full grown now,
but the name "Lambchops" stuck). In the winter the sheep are kept in
paddocks near the house reducing the need for protection and the rest are
consolidated with the horse. This provides a convenient form of interest to
our on farm buyers through the winter, especially the grand parent / grand
children combinations. We don't allow them to enter the fenced area because
of the potential for injury, but the whole clan will come to the fence for
human attention.

In weather extremes, the single stall shelter I built for the horse will
have six heads sticking out in the morning waiting for their morning hay
allotment. The lamb seems to prefer the outside regardless of conditions.
We could have our own "Animals Funniest Video" show if we had the time. :-)

Regards,

Rick H.