market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:35:20 EST

In a message dated 2/5/03 6:39:27 PM Central Standard Time, delannw AT dlogue.net writes:

It's a nice rule... grower only.

I'm willing to go with a local grown only rule.

With the WIC program I have really tried to work with the state on doing some of the control on the local grown produce, but trying to work with some people in these markets is like beating your head against a stone wall.  Everyone has their own spin on the rules, or another words change the wording to the rules to their own twisted way.'

All you can really do is try to keep as tight of control as possible, I have even called the State Health Dept. on a vendor that kept telling me he could sell all the canned goods he wanted and I couldn't do a thing about it.  The State gave the man a very big fine, and I haven't had to put up with him since.

I've marketed beside a guy for years that always has tomatoes before anyone else and the always come out of the same company out of Arkansas, the market manager will go out and check and tell everyone he has them growing on the farm.  The same guy has three peach trees and can bring in about 50 lug's off these three tree's (I really believe this too).

Phil