market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are beingfed homones

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are beingfed homones
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:15:44 -0600

Leigh Hauter wrote:
> I'm sorry Rick that I didn't get back to you early. I farm for a
> living and I've been out working since sun up this morning. It's
> just getting dark here now and I checked my e-mails. If you read my
> post I referenced a report. Go back and read it.

What report? You mention your wife coming up with something but in order to
make such a sweeping charge about the use of hormones in poultry feeding,
you need to have some rather substantive science. Otherwise it is just
vicious attacks and innuendo since this is a very emotionally charged issue.

What I have seen over and over is that people on the extremes (and this goes
for either side of the spectrum) come up with many wild stories and even
outright lying in order to "prove" their beliefs of their own agenda. Those
of us in the middle have to constantly sift through this disinformation to
try and find the truth.

But when it comes to poultry, there is NO QUESTION at all that NO HORMONES
have been allowed since even before the 1960's.

If you really are a farmer, you can surely understand the amount of feed
that has to be produced in order to feed the millions of poultry just in the
U.S. And it would be utterly impossible to have someone adding anything to
these rations without it being detected.

It is about like those with extreme views and agendas that kept imagining
all the use of the dreaded MCP's in dairy products.

There are these deeply held beliefs that a number of folks on the edges want
to convey to the middle folks (the average everyday Americans), no matter
how conspiratorial and downright nutty at times, that causes them to make
constant attacks on what they perceive as the enemy, and the truth be
damned.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Always sifting and winnowing