market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Rick Williams claims knowledge he doesn't have

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Rick Williams claims knowledge he doesn't have
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:57:40 -0600

Leigh Hauter wrote:
> Rick I can call names with the best of them so let me get this
> straight: first you insult my wife and then you want to go after my
> farming. I think you've opened yourself up to it.

Yes you are very good at name calling from the past comments you have made
toward others. But it is getting very bizarre if you see any attack in any
way against your wife. Would you be so kind as to include the reference of
that attack?

Similarly, what about your farming? What attack are you imagining that I
said about that?

I would suggest strongly that you are attempting to get the heat off you for
the statements you have made on hormones in poultry. You were caught making
statements that are completely without merit. Just claiming something could
be true is NOT, the same as it actually being true. You would need some kind
of proof. And if hormones are being put in poultry feed it would be very
easy to find it.

> Rick, you are really out there in the loopy right field. Please come
> back to earth. And when you do, talk about something you know
> something about. (what Perdue puts in its feed isn't one of those
> things).

Again, like a number of very outspoken people on this list from the left, it
appears that you fail to even realize what middle is anymore. Your
references to some of the web sites you recommend viewing are not what most
would call middle of the road.

> And please don't try to claim some sort of middle of the
> road. Maybe the middle of the road at a flat Earthers convention.

What is middle of the road? It is what most people accept as the truth.
Middle of the road people do not believe that corporations are inherently
evil, nor do they even believe that large corporations are evil; most of
them work for corporations and are able to have a higher standard of living
because of it; they have a basic trust in their government but also realize
that sometimes mistakes are made or unwise decisions are made, but not with
constant conspiracy; they are generally very satisfied with the food
products that they buy and consume from the supermarket (often Wal-Mart or
similar stores) and constantly are voting with their pocket books as to what
they value and they greatly value large and small corporations.

For the most part, I exemplify that middle ground but on some specific
issues I may be outside of the center view. For example, I may prefer to
have minimal amounts of added hormones, antibiotics, pesticides in my food
and perhaps more importantly, sometimes want to go beyond organic and have
superior nutrition. In that respect I agree that I am not as mainstream.

But as I have said before, I am liberal on some issues and conservative on
others, and generally not that far from the middle. And I do not accept
paranoia and conspiracies as normal views to hold.

It is you who come across very extreme and very contentious in your attack
on marc. I have no doubt that any reasonable person would see it that way.

I did receive a private message from you that in total read: "that was a ny
times editorial that was reprinted in Al Kreb's newsletter, THE AGRIBUSINESS
EXAMINER. His web site is http://www.ea1.com/CARP/ He's been writing
about agribusiness for at least 15 years. probably more."

I looked at the site but it was from a VERY extreme left position. Others
may take a look and I don't think you will find many who would disagree with
that assessment:)

> And yes, in the original post I sited my wife's report and told where
> to find it. In case you were having some sort of cognitive laps, here
> is her website, again--(www.citizen.org) Look under the Critical
> Mass section and then look up the reports. If you want to look it up
> through Google my wife's name is Wenonah Hauter. You will probably
> get something like 2 or 3000 hits though, but then search through
> those hits using "meat inspection". You will still get an awful lot
> of hits but I think the point will be made. She knows what she's
> talking about. You don't.

I am not sure I recall the reference to citizen.org. and currently the
search engine on that site is not operational. The site is very left skewed
looking at the topics. Note that everything is negative toward anything
status quo, and also negative toward any changes attempted by those
currently in the majority. Not what I would call middle of the road. Do you?

I did a search and found 27 references with your wife's name and hormones
and public citizen. Nothing had any comments on hormones in poultry but I
could have missed it. There were negative comments about dairy use of
hormones and hormones in beef.096

Let's get some science in here for a change when extreme statements are made
that vilify and attack millions of citizens trying hard to do their jobs. Is
that too much to ask? As a middle of the roader, I don't think it is.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Always sifting and winnowing