market-farming - [Market-farming] OT Leigh Hauter background

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] OT Leigh Hauter background
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:11:55 -0600

> I don't know, Rick, back in the early 70's, after I came home from
> Vietnam and got out of the army I went to college out your way in
> Colorado and received a degree from CSU (hardly a left wing school)
> and also took some political science classes. The professors there
> would be somewhat amazed at your use of the terms left and right.

It is impossible to comment without a specific. Can you use an example? Or
several to explain your point of professors from the SW's view on left and
right?

> think they would classify you instead as a native American 'no
> nothing'. As in, 'I know nothing and I'm proud of it.'

Very odd comment, but it doesn't surprise me. Ad hominum attack such as
that, is the trademark of those who do not have an actual criticism but are
desperately trying to stop the challenge to their beliefs.

Those of us who constantly question extremes on both sides of the spectrum
are used to taking a great deal of criticism. We know that the greatest fear
the extremists have is to be challenged. And often to quote their own words.
Typically, they are not challenged and can say anything they want with
impunity (First Amendment right). The internet tends to magnify that because
they are not filtered as much as they once were. But on open forums such as
this one, when farmers and companies are under attack, some of us will stand
up to those extreme views.

As far as my Native American heritage, few know about it, and no one would
ever guess it as the percentage of Cherokee is only a couple of points:)

> But be that as it may. Al Krebs ( http://www.ea1.com/CARP/ ) knows
> more about the workings of the American agriculture system than most
> of us can ever hope for. I suggest the others on this list subscribe
> to his newsletter. It's informative.

I did not find much solid information, but found a lot of attacks toward the
majority view. I would not characterize Mr. Krebs as having a good
understanding of the world we live in. But I can tell you one thing, he is
not a happy person.

> And for all of those who are
> interested, just because Rick can't find Wenonah's report, you can.
> http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/meat/#114

Are others finding her report on hormones in poultry? I had read some of the
articles earlier but did not find this. Maybe I missed it?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Always sifting and winnowing