market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:55:46 -0500

Rick had written:

Jay Gee wrote:
> If I read it correctly, recent ACNielsen Research did not seem
> to indicate what you are asserting.

This is a case where research is not very helpful compared to the actual
market. My point is that what people say to a pollster may not necessarily
be what they actual vote for with their money.

And when you consider that a lot of organic products, particularly the
processed ones, are purchased from great distances, that is due to a
personal decision at the store.

> A farm logo may be important to the farmer emotionally,
> but the more important marketing aspect of a farm is its name.
> When the farm name includes information about the farm
> products, it is a stronger name. Calorganic is an example.

When I think of a logo for our farm, it is integral with our name except the
typography is modified to reflect our "way" of making it appear to the
consumer. This is included on our letters, brochures, mailings, and even on
our farm sign.

Maybe people do not notice this difference, but I am skeptical that is true.

> The average market farmer would be better off with
> labels on produce with the name and location of the
> farm.

How about both? Especially if it did not cost anything to develop? We did
all the typography after coming up with the farm name. The time spent doing
it was "recreational" and a learning experience that I have wanted to do for
many years. It was not as easy as I thought it would be. But it was a good
challenge.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm