market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:45:04 -0400

Thank you Rick!

I would like to add that we just went down that road- of building a large
infrastructure for organic and that's gone for most small growers. (Someone
once said that a definition of insanity is to keep doing something that
doesn't
work.)

And you're right about a few REALLY working to make something happen. The
rest
(and this isn't a derogatory remark, I've been one at times) let others do the
work and/or ride the wave. Face it folks, we ALL have to be involved in
education about our farms- who we are and how we do it. I refer you to
Allison's talk about "relationship marketing." If we want to retail we have
be retailers- know our product, know our market, know our customers and be
able
to articulate this in a friendly way. If you can't do this, you're not a
retailer. (BTW, I think small, locally marketing growers will ALWAYS be in
the
education business.)

On the positive side- I've found that most people are looking for 1. FRESH
2. LOCAL
3. FROM A FARMER.
This is something that Calorganic can't do! That's where the niche is, not in
trying to compete with agriorganic. Organic is a bonus to most customers (at
least around here). And the 3 factors above command the same price bonus as
organic does- that is, I retail my produce at or above local certified organic
retail prices.

A way of applying this, without spending time constructing organizations, is
use the existing structures: State Grown programs, grower only markets with
certification for this, marketing co-ops, whatever, But, keep it local or
regional and simple- don't add infrastructure and expense. This will cause
you
to have to pay for this and reduce your income.

The wholesale of locally grown & marketed follows the same patterns, but the
approach is different. If you want to wholesale certified organic (or any
other
name) produce and duke it out with the big guys, I'll be glad to hold your
wallet and valuables.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm