market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:22:20 -0700

Rick, I agree thoroughly that as a de facto
groundswelling of interest this needs to be kept
simple and as informal as possible, but that need
not negate the energy of the many who are simply
unwilling to subscribe to what has become the
"certified organic" morass. The K.I.S.S. principle
of keeping it simple need only be accompanied by
the willingness of those united across the country
to agree upon the new name, slogan, logo and a few
fundamental principles. Beyond that there must be
a willingness...and DESIRE..to fly that new logo
ASAP at farm entrances, on products, at our
stands, on correspondence, websites and more.

Too, we can all contribute to establishing brand
awareness through a nationwide ..or international
..effort to contact the public and the media. As a
grassroots movement it would seem essential to
concentrate upon defining the principles upon
which we can all agree. It is our principles and
our commitment to approaching responsible
sustainable farming with traditional common sense
stewardship of soil, water and our other natural
resources as well as the production of the best
possible naturally produced products of ANY nature
that must be paramount..not the process and not
another certification program.

Again, even in the formulation of the underlying
principles it would seem critical to keep it
simple. Like some have expressed, folks are far
more interested in healthy, flavorful foods than
they are the details of a certification program.
Done well and done quickly the public can quickly
be made aware that this is not a group out to GET
anyone, but, rather a natural collective of
farmers...committed farmers...who have all agreed
between ourselves (not due to regulations or other
intervention) that we will produce the best
possible products..SAFELY..and HEALTHILY.This is
rather a bond between craftsmen of a common trade.

Lastly, we need to have this worked out and
hitting the streets before Spring.

Rainbows End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road
Stuart, Virginia 24171