market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:54:29 -0500

> ----------
> From: GlobalCirclenet[SMTP:webmaster AT globalcircle.net]
>
> I'm sure someone can enlighten me on this point. What happened to all the
> state-run organic certification programs? Does the new federal standard
> just throw them out completely like so much garbage? I see what's
> happening
> in Oregon with GMO labelling.
>
> paul & barb - on the continental divide
> http://globalcircle.net

Each state certification program, if they choose to remain a certification
program, has to "certify" (and that may not be the correct terminology) with
the USDA as a USDA organic certification agent. I am not sure at this point
what our state (Kentucky) intends to do, but their forms, on their website,
appear to conform to the USDA regulations. Depending upon cost, and demand,
it may go by the wayside. Most of the organic farms in our state are small,
and many will not be able to handle the red tape of USDA certification -
especially when it comes to tracking sales. The other big issue is seeds.
I'm not sure where I read it this week, maybe newfarm.org, but the general
consensus seems to be that you must buy organic seed, if it is available, as
long as it is not more than 3-5 times more expensive! So, for us, with an
annual seed cost of $600-$700, we could conceivably have to spend as much as
$3000 for seed. Now, in reality, it wouldn't come to that much. Many of the
seeds we use are not available at all as organic seed, and much of the
organic seed available is reasonably priced. But, it illustrates another
good reason for small, diversified growers to market directly, and forget
about the USDA label.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm