market-farming - Re: Monsanto vs Schmeiser

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bev and Chuck Henkel" <bchenkel AT conpoint.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Monsanto vs Schmeiser
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:18:32 -0500

> I am not clear on whether he separated or not.

The judges summary says he saved the seed from the roundup resistant
concentrated 3-4 acre patch, on a truck in a barn and then mixed it with
additional seed for planting.

> He does not, apparently have adjoining fields with RUR canola

The judges summary includes the information that a couple years previous an
adjourning neighbors field of RUR canola was swathed before combining when
wind blew some of the swathes into Schmeiser's field.

The judge said in effect that it doesn't matter how the genetics got there.
He said that if a neighbor's bull wanders and breeds your cow the calf is
yours and the neighbor may be liable for damages. BUT because the RUR genes
in canola are patented when the neighbor's pollen breeds your plants the
resulting seed is yours but you do not own the right to use (i.e. plant)
those seeds. ???

Chuck Henkel