market-farming - Re: soil improvement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soil improvement
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:29:28 -0500

Title: soil improvement
Joan,
I would definitely recommend that you use this as much as possible.  I would suggest NOT using your compost for at least a year in order not to get the Nitrogen level up to high.  This soil also will probably be rich in Potassium as well.  Try and incorporate it into the upper 6-inches of soil.  However, this soil may be lacking in Phosphorus, so, it may be to your benefit to incorporate some Soft or Black Rock Phosphate before applying it to your garden areas or fields.

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting
Lowville, NY.