market-farming - Re: soil improvement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Josie Klapper <jstk AT swbell.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soil improvement
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:13:40 -0600

Howdy Joan,
    I don't see a down side here, sounds like a good idea.  As far as still needing the compost goes, it depends on how you were going to use the compost.  You will still want to mulch.
Josie Klapper
Triangle Farm
CSA and Houston Area Chow Rescue

Joan Vibert wrote:

I could use some input on this.  I am considering renting some sort of a front loader for a day and hauling out several truck loads of soil from one of our ponds that went dry in the drought last summer.  I was just up there this afternoon and the soil is wonderful – very friable, with a fair amount of sand in it- which we could use.  The pond was full of fish and other life forms so I would think that there would be good nutrients in the soil.  Plus it wouldn’t hurt to deepen the pond.  This has to be done before the spring rains hit.  Btw – the watershed for the pond is solely on our land, its all pasture so I don’t have to worry about chemicals, etc.  So is this worth the effort?  Would it replace the large truck load of compost I was considering buying?  I have some compost, always enough for all of our transplants.  I’m looking to improve the fertility of our soil.

joan vibert
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas ---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: jstk AT swbell.net
Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq