market-farming - Re: soil improvement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Earthfarm1 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: soil improvement
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:57:30 EST

Good day:)

Just wanted to echo some of the sentiments on Joan's post on PC.

<<For a couple of years several of us have tried to find the time to begin

applying permaculture practices to Kansas realities. >>

<<Over the next couple of years I created more problems for myself than

solving them. I had gardens full of sheet mulched areas that were weedier

than my regular beds, I had paths full of weed filled carpet - which then

could not be weeded and beautiful keyhole beds that required way too much

weeding time.>> This is one of my biggest fears too. Many of old time
farmers scoff at me when I suggest such methods.

Hopefully Joan's reply with stimulate discussion!

Also I still find a lot of the PC stuff, biodynamic farming, etc., too
secretive. Let's disseminate practical ways to help folks without PC degrees
implement best ideas on their farms, in their climates and environment.

WE are not "dumbkopfs" we realize that each farm, etc., is unique...but we
still need guideposts we can act on with a relative certainty that it will
work because it has been FIELD tested by other practitioners in our region!

Just my 2 cents. Cheers. Frank