market-farming - Re: soil improvement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Earthfarm1 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: soil improvement
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:47:14 EST

Good day:)

Excellent post on permaculture based pond system by Vint Lawrence. Thanks,
Vint.

So here's a permaculture design challenge for some of you more knowledgeable
folk.

I've constructed a 3/4 acre pond that is about 9' deep at the center. Banks
have been shaped and sloped to present natural look. No liners, dams, or
overflow pipes were installed. But the pond was shaped so that overflow will
spill out backside in drainage way that ties into another drainage way on the
farm. So far it has worked:)

Pond froze over this winter...real solid. I think I could use some aeration.
But am not sure how to do so at modest cost:)

Cattle have had access to the pond. Water is still brownish. Pond is only one
year old and I'm told it can take 3 years or more for water to clear up. In
future I hope to keep cattle fenced out, and use some sort of portable pump
system to water them.

Banks have not been planted. But need to be and soon. There are some eroded
channels from cattle. Soil is heavy, hard clay that does not drain well. So
it is alternately rock hard or real soggy, muddy.

I'm in Zone 6 in south central Kentucky, USA.

I'm aware of the lingo:)...but need details and specifics to act upon.

Like Vint and Larry London write...I'd like to use a variety of plants, fish,
etc., that should flourish as a more natural native ecosystem that perhaps is
spiced up with a few non-natives for beauty. I also like edible, or multi-use
plants.

So please let's have your comments.
For Lawrence London: Will you please forward this to the Permaculture List
or any other you deem appropriate. Thanks. Also I do not recall receiving
any PC list mail lately would you please check my subscription. Keep up the
fantastic effort. Frank