market-farming - Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:15:50 -0600

Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> AM Leonard (www.amleo.com) sells deer fence, but what is interesting is
> their illustration showing the fence leaning outward at about a 50* angle.
> They also say to keep it loose to waiver in the wind, & keep deer from
> focusing on it.

Another method I've seen suggested (but never tried, my dogs keep the
deer away or at least on the move) is to lay field fence or chicken wire
flat, just slightly suspended above the ground (like lay it up on rocks
or something) for something like 8' or 10' around the garden.
Supposedly if it looks too wide to jump (deer are supposed to dislike
broad jumps as opposed to high jumps) if they try to walk through it
they don't like the feeling of getting their hoofies tangled up in the
openings so they'll pass on by.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant