market-farming - Pepper Spray and deer deterrence

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:55:44 -0500

> I plan to expand the use of the home made pepper spray this year.

I have a chicken-eating dog and one time, fresh after the kill, I took the
chicken carcass and put it in a bucket with a soup of water and 30 plus
habaneros (the fumes over the bucket almost knocked me over). I figured
the dog would take one taste of the pepper/chicken and lose it's taste for
poultry.

I left the bucket out over night.

The next morning, not only was the chicken gone, but the dog had lapped up
much of the pepper juice.

We have a major deer problem (we're located in the middle of about 10,000
acres of unhunted private/state forest). We have tried about everything.
Last year we had some success with peanut butter electric fence. Some of
the books call it the Wisconsin deer fence. We run a strand of electric
fence on top of our woven wire and then fold a piece of foil with a healthy
gob of peanut butter over the top. A shock to the tongue seems to have a
deterrence factor.

This worked great all summer but in the fall when the forest started
turning brown and our fall irrigated greens looked so, so green, there was
no keeping them out.

Does anyone have a fool proof solution.