market-farming - Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Creech <creech5 AT mail.tds.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:21:03 -0500

HI,

That is one tough dog!!!But he must not have a guarding instinct if
he eats the farm animals.

> gone, but the dog had lapped up
> much of the pepper juice.

Does anyone have a fool proof solution.

Your chicken eating dog doesn't scare away the deer?? Then you need
another dog, one with guarding instincts, such as a Great Pyrenees. They
are used in many places to keep the wolves, bear, and coyotes from
eating livestock. If they can do that they can surely protect plants
from deer. Great PYrenees like to do perimeter guarding. I bought my
puppy from a guy that has 7 in with his goats. As soon as he moves the
goats to a new pasture the GP immediately patrol the perimeter, marking
it. Now of course you don't want a 125lb. dog in with your produce but
if they consider your whole farm their territory then they will protect
it all IMHO. To encourage them to perimeter patrol feed them at various
spots along the outside of the fence. PUt their doghouse out there.
These are very smart dogs!! Ours is 4 months old and is already starting
to defend our property from strangers. He is gentle and loving with us
and especially our kids. The only draw back is that he eats alot but
that's o.k. with me. I want a BIG dog to protect us and our farm.

Just my .02
Penny
Nathan Farms in SC