market-farming - Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Creech <creech5 AT mail.tds.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pepper Spray and deer deterrence
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:55:11 -0500

Hi,

I can't verify as my GP is only 4 months old but from other sources I
have gathered that if not fenced in they will still stay at home and
guard as long as there is SOMETHING to guard. I know of a lady whose GP
stayed at home and guarded perfectly with no fencing until she got rid
of her livestock and then he roamed until he found livestock at the
neighboring farm to guard. THe neighbor didn't appreciate the help (fool
woman). And not to be picky but you referred to "herding" and I have to
make the distiction that they don't herd but do guard. Until a few years
ago I would have used the two words interchangeably but then I became
the proud owner of a Sheltie and found out what herding dogs do!!!!

Penny
Nathan Farms