market-farming - Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:06:00 -0600

BBGREGSON AT cs.com wrote:

> Holly--
> Agree with you that unusual shapes for raised beds suggest trouble. We did
> circular pattern for two seasons. It was a disaster to till and irrigate.
> But pretty until the weeds in the paths got too aggressive. Now our paths
> are all mowable grass or ground cloth.

Well, esthetics is as good a reason as any for this sort of thing, I
guess - at least on a small scale, say for your own personal herb garden
or a small kitchen garden outside your back door.

But it just strikes me as being more trouble than its worth when there's
no practical payback in your market garden.

At least, for me it would be. Other people may put more emphasis on
esthetics or "spirituality" or whatever, but unless its gonna make my
crops grow a whole lot better I'll pass on this sort of thing on a large
scale.

I'm vacillating between flat out planting to dutch white clover and then
tilling some narrow swaths for planting, and planting to dutch white
clover in the paths and using that big huge mound of sod that was
scraped off my driveway and is currently sitting there rotting away to
build up raised beds between paths.

Maybe I'll do both and see how it works. Decisions decisions decisions.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant