market-farming - Re: Sunflowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sunflowers
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:05:57 -0500

From: Tanya Cervinka > Regarding good varieties of sunflowers for cut
flowers, I've been most impressed with Valentine and Sonja in terms how
many actual harvestable stems they produce and because as a floral designer
droopy heads frustrate me.

Droopy flowers-this is another point I forgot to cover. I wait to cut my
flowers when the heads are upright, on a clear day, a little cloudy or
overcast & they hang their heads a bit, so I don't cut them.

I love Valentine, and will be trying Sonja's sister this
spring-Soraya-supposed to have 20-25 flowers per plant, long stems, 4-6"
heads-I hope Johnny's is correct!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina