livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured bySmall-Scale Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: richard green <greenrw71@hotmail.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured bySmall-Scale Agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:03:25 +0000

They also made the pig pen part of the outhouse, I'm not certain I want part of that bacon. Thus I come face to face with some of my own western phobia concerning humanure. But I agree until we close the loop regarding our own defecation were not truly sustainable. In fact were rather selfish we take and take from nature and give back only that which we've poisoned. The human manure handbook deals with composting it is rather hands on, worms loos require lots of cover material and urine diverting devises. I've due to my geographical location have contemplated the shallow trench method. Either collect the deposits in a container the empty in shallow trench or direct deposit depending on location of closest neighbor, cover deposits with soil plant livestock crops on top. The pathogen chain is broken by not eating what's grow on top. The deposits decompose and enrich the soil. The bed is usable after one year. This works very well in beds that are in a crop rotation. Once again hands on...however if we suffer a loss of public works what choices will we have. Still dont think I want ant of that bacon......

Rick