livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: paul@oneseedling.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:24:27 -0600

Actually you are only partially right. With a decent greenhouse, the added mass of water and gravel will keep the greenhouse warm enough down to 20 degrees outside. Two great examples of this are Growing Power http://www.growingpower.org/ in Milwaukee. Another great example is in Nebraska http://www.altenergymag.com/emagazine.php?issue_number=03.08.01&article=finch although not aquaponics the principal is still the same.
We have built mechanical wind pumpers to cut energy costs here and soon all our aquaponics will be powered by wind. Additionally our grow beds use only use around 75 gallons of water per month to grow intensively on 60 sqft. Dirt gardens require hundreds of gallons to grow the same amount.
Paul the Skeptic

Sent from my iPhone