livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Michelle Silva <cosmobaby@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:39:50 -0800 (PST)

We are now talking about the cons of aquaponics in cold areas specifically, at first you slammed aquaponics in general without much basis. Yes, plants would need to be protected (possibly with hoop houses, article in  Mother Earth News article about the use of them under 2' of snow) and cold tolerant fish can be used in tanks in the ground for extra insulation and there are other things that are possible to do as well.
I was referring to the fact that you were pointing out energy consumption as a con..I have not looked into this since I live in Florida, but I believe we need to be creative and open to all possible ways of growing sustainably before it becomes a necessity. Growing Power (in the Wikipedia link) is another great source for those looking for more information on aquaponics. It's also being done and introduced in areas that don't have access to lots of fresh water.