livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Water Will Be Off Or Restricted Across Ireland

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Water Will Be Off Or Restricted Across Ireland
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:25:06 -0000

John, I'm sure you know but it made NPR here:

Water Will Be Off Or Restricted Across Ireland Into Next Week
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/12/30/132473840/water-will-be-off-or-restricted-across-ireland-into-next-week

The reason for this is that Ireland just is not used to temperatures of -18, -20. Many water pipes run above ground and on the outside of houses where they have to freeze and burst at these temperatures. The only precaution people can take and most do is let the water run day and night since moving water does not freeze as fast. This lowers the municipal reserves which is OK if not a lot of pipes spring leaks when it thaws.

In rural areas most people are responsible for their own water and freezing pipes. We have several streams and wells we can use and even if our water pipe to the kitchen froze for ten days it was not a big problem. It took me half a day afterwards to get everything running again. We have no need of electric pumps here, everything is gravity powered.
john