livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light/weather and effects

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light/weather and effects
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:36:01 -0700

It reminds us how utterly dependent agriculture is on the whims of the
weather. Predictable seasons are critical to world food supply. Yet we can
manage more control in home growing with season extending methods, storage
methods, and smart planning of varieties. We still have some golden beets and
red candy onions in the ground but will they survive single digits the next
few nights, even with mulch? And an upright freezer full of the best tomatoes
and the giant marconi peppers. I think home or local production and storage
can be much less vulnerable to weather and gas prices.

Haylage? Is that a word?