livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tanya <tanyagarden@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:22:18 -0800

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Liz <liz@allslash.org> wrote:
> I wish I knew what would spark people's interest--a larger percentage of
> people, I mean. ...

Need alone isn't enough. People also have to know they'll succeed, and
they have to know how to store and cook with the bounty. So a massive
education campaign, with lots of local hands-on teaching, couldn't
hurt.

The rising popularity of school gardens in some places should help:
get them interested while they're young. And I love that Michelle
Obama started a kitchen garden at the White House and is talking about
healthy eating.

A historical perspective helps: during WWI and WWII, victory gardens
in the U.S. supplied a huge percentage of produce eaten. The
government promoted them endlessly.