livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:53:35 -0000

Allow me to qualify my own response. Just two examples :
- the new food safety law 511 will spend $1.5 billion over 5 years to investigate food safety of mainly vegetable growers. Poultry and meat where the real killer bugs are found will not be affected and remains under USDA control. It is thought that no more than 150-200 people per year die from mainly E. coli infections in vegetables. This means that about $ 1 million will have been spent per saved person but only if the new controls catch every single case of contamination in time. It is thought that between 120 and 150 Americans per day starve to dead these days. They could have been saved with much less.
- Obama care is very expensive to the point of bancrupting the country but it has the major effect of driving all patients into mainstream Big Pharma Industrial care. Quite a few medical doctors think that if all people had optimal vitamin D concentrations of between 60-75 nanogram/ml blood that all disease could be at least 50% reduced. This would cost almost nothing.
John

It all reminds me of Woody Allen's line in Bananas - political solutions don't work.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Politics is usually defined as "the art or science of gaining power and staying in power". I don't think "solutions" has anything to do with it :)
cynically, john