livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tanya <tanyagarden@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:33:52 -0800

p.s. Thinking about what "one person" can do to promote food-growing
and healthy eating:

-- Start where you are. The possibilities are endless. What do you
know, what knowledge can you share, what resources do you have?

-- If you have video capabilities, do a YouTube on growing one or more crops.
A great example is the series of videos on "dense planting
illustrated" at Tomatoville. It explains how to seed up to 30 of one
variety of seed per cell, then separate them and pot up. The densely
seeded cells need good light and often bottom heat to germinate, but
once they are a couple inches high, benefit more from cooler
conditions and can be outdoors in the daytime in mild climates (or in
a greenhouse). So dense seeding helps use resources wisely.

-- If you can put a sentence and a website together, and take photos,
do a website with instructions and photos of your successes.
The WIntersown website is a great example of what one person with an
idea can do.

-- In the real world, if you can speak to large groups, put together
talks about food growing and find groups that need speakers.

-- In the real world, if you prefer to talk to small groups, do that.

-- If you don't think you know enough, start a skill-sharing (and
harvest-sharing?) food-garden club.