livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:04:44 -0600

Dieter, surprisingly we do have solid statistical data to prove the relation
between industrially produced food and the degenerative diseases that are on
an increase in most industrial countries. Even the (financially compromised)
American Cancer Society makes the point, tho in disguised terms.
http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/EatHealthyGetActive/ACSGuidelinesonNutritionPhysicalActivityforCancerPrevention/acs-guidelines-on-nutrition-and-physical-activity-for-cancer-prevention-healthy-diet

You're right, we're a consumer society. That's what we do. But I have to
counter that as long as we only change what we consume we're still consuming
the lion's share of the planet's resources (and food), and we're still in the
proverbial handbasket headed you know where.

Yet the economic contraction that's sinking us already may be the silver
lining - the way we're forced to reduce consumption. Just growing our own
would slash the packaging and transport waste, plus cut our medical bills,
not to mention giving the unemployed something useful to do that saves money.

And it is happening, people:
8 Surprising Facts About The Shrinking Middle Class From 'Third World
America' (PHOTOS on site) Updated: 08-10-10 09:59 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/09/8-surprising-facts-about_n_675545.html