livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 11:35:20 -0400

Hi  Morgan,
My winter pen looks bad too.  Very little left in it at this point, but by fall it will have some green it in.  My  animals get fat on grass in the summer.  What kinds of pens are you using?  I've been using cattle panels that I've overlapped and stiffened that I just drag from spot to spot and anchor down.  Has to be a easier way though.  I'm thinking a framed section with wheels and a lot behind it .  Would be easier on my back to roll it from spot to spot then dragging it they way I've been doing.
Norma

I graze mine in small movable pens. They eat where I want
them to eat and get removed before they damage the land.
Their "home base pens" aren't in the best of shape forage
wise, but they have stuff growing in them, which is more
than I can say for anywhere I bought them from.

Morgan