livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 01:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

I was just explaining to a friend the other day (who asked me to buy milk), 'you can't get milk at the safeway, you can only get this white liquid milk-like stuff which says milk on the container, but I don't drink it and I don't think its healthy for the cat either'. Turns out they hadn't ever drunk real milk so I bought some raw milk at the local trendy health food store, brought it home, and said 'now this is going to ruin you, but at least you can say you drank milk before you die'.

I'm not sure exactly why but, it was running somewhere, around 2 times the cost of the milk like stuff. The only thing I can figure, since they don't pasteurize it they have to take a bigger hit on inventory or maybe they get bitten by insurance or maybe have to do more somatic cell counting than processed dairies, otherwise you'd expect it would be cheaper since it doesn't need to be homogenized or pastuerized. I only bring this up, because if so I can't help but think the latest food safety bills , coupled with probably follow ons to the so-called  'freedom to farm' act might have a similar effect. Lets face it , raw milk is practically illegal in many states, which probably means producers jump through some serious hoops to get it into a store.  Or maybe they just get worse margins from the local trendy health food store.