livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 12:18:42 -0600

You're correct. I was referring to the way the vast majority of commercial
milk is produced today. It's an incredible waste of several scarce resources,
not the least of which is fossil fuel inputs. It takes many acres of corn and
other grains plus enormous amounts of freshwater to grow a dairy cow, which
may produce a couple years and then go to meet their maker. The day is very
near when most resources to grow cattle will be needed to make food for
humans, which is many times more efficient use of those resources. By very
near I mean roughly 18 months give or take a few.

FYI I grew up fencing cowpasture, sodding and mowing coastal bermuda, and
hauling hay, in East TX summers.