livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 10:28:45 -0500

Tradingpost wrote:
Good to get different points of view. My own is that most of us do not need any form of milk for the calcium, since the usual bone problems do not respond to extra calcium anyway but do respond to vitamin D.

Most people don't eat properly. I think dairy is a good way to cover your bases. I haven't bought milk in over a year. Stopped buying cream when they added chemical emulsifiers to it and I noticed it on the labels.

And apparently unpasteurized milk is largely indigestible.

Link to research, please? And bear in mind I'll probably be able to haul out just as many that say otherwise. Belief in research all depends on what you want to believe.

And please stop saying "milk" as if it were all from cows. Many many people who stepped off the "commercially pasteurized milk" path decided that goats were a better option...or sheep. Many other kinds of animals give milk and many people use it. Almost all my cheese manuals list water buffalo milk even though I doubt you'd find much of it in the US, but it has been used historically for a long long time to make cheese.

True there's the African culture living on milk and oxblood, but I'm not going to try it myself. Nor meat only or whale blubber.

Be glad you don't have to. Some people do, and ignoring that they can live reasonably well that way is short-sighted. Learn what you can from the diet and how it works. People die because they don't know how to utilize what's around them to survive.

There are 15 THOUSAND species of plants that have been used in some fashion or other for food by humans. 150 or so have been cultivated agriculturally historically, but today only 20 or so feed most of the people in the world, and if you listed them all out, a bunch of people would probably have never tried the ones that aren't popular in the US.

Mangles used to be a major source of animal feed. Mention them today and most likely you'll be met with "never heard of it", even in places where they grew them for CENTURIES.

But there is no medical evidence that cows milk is nature's perfect food for adults.

Of course not, it's goat's milk if you believe all the hype. *laugh* Not that I do.

But seriously, all milk is not even close to the same. There is research out of Australia that if diabetic people who drink milk drank milk from (whatever less-productive dairy cow, I forget the name) many of them would not have diabetes. The research has been essentially ignored because dairies don't want to swap to the less productive but better for you cow. The bottom line for a dairy is not health of customer, it's production numbers. The bottom line for the Dairy Industry is to sell more milk, not better for you milk.

Different goat breeds have different chemical compositions of milk. African derived breeds are closer to cow milk than others in composition, so if you hare having a reaction to cow milk, pick a non-African breed goat to get milk from to increase your chances of tolerance.

People can make their own choices when they have enough room to have their own animals. Most do not choose to have cows because cows give goadsawful amounts of milk. Even miniature ones give gallons. But people with one dairy cow or a couple of goats often feed the animals on land they are not growing on that year, and with scraps from the garden. The problem comes in when you try to put a whole bundle of them on too small a space.

I still ask how much food could we produce on the land it takes to support
one dairy cow?

Depends on the land. If the land has a tree crop growing on it and grass under the trees, the animals can be grazed under the trees for almost no extra food cost. It's NOT all equal.

Morgan