livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] food for thought?
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 18:59:03 -0600

Good to get different points of view. My own is that most of us do not need
any form of milk for the calcium, since the usual bone problems do not
respond to extra calcium anyway but do respond to vitamin D. And the D they
add to commercial milk isn't enough to justify the cost IMHO. And apparently
unpasteurized milk is largely indigestible. After all, nature makes it for
growing heavy calf bones. True there's the African culture living on milk and
oxblood, but I'm not going to try it myself. Nor meat only or whale blubber.
Humans are omnivorous, but radical changes in diet to different cultures
cause problems. I'll admit Weston Price has some good points. I happen to
crave certain kinds of cheese. But there is no medical evidence that cows
milk is nature's perfect food for adults. Bananas come a lot closer.

I still ask how much food could we produce on the land it takes to support
one dairy cow?