livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

What they need to look at is Aquaponic systems.  There has been great progress in Aquaponics to clean up city water and make it toxin-free. Paul Range, here in Texas and John Todd up north have used Aquaponics to clean up city water, using natural biological systems.  For this reason Aquaponics may hold one of the keys to lowering public water use
Can you imagine a sewage treatment facility that is used like a public park?

Think of the work swamps, bogs, tidal pools and other verge systems to in our ecosystems and this is what aquaponics tries to imitate, tho with the smaller home sized units, the far less bacterially hazardous fish poop is used to feed the veggies.

A simple system for salvaged materials and a tight budget

This site is particularly interesting, since it is from Growing Power and shows how a combination of 'Ponics and compost-rich beds are feeding and empowering people is some pretty rough places; http://www.growseed.org/growingpower.html

You can also run a search on Home Aquaponics or on Barrelponics videos and get all sorts of how-to videos.

Yours, Pego
<<Are there hydroponic systems that use various beneficial microorganisms to feed the plants? I must admit to some prejudice about avoiding soil to produce plants but have a small window of open mindedness on the subject. I  know most are busy but experience or references i would be appreciated.>> Marty Kraft>>