livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Diane Kann <dianek59@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:51:46 -0400

There are some organic certifiers who will not certify hydroponics because they cannot do a soil test (we have been in contact with them--we know their reasoning).  However, there are some who now will.  The problem isn't that the method is not organic (certainly water is used in all growing and our fertilizers are quite organic) but more that they could not verify with soil testing.  Remember that most growers also add fertilizer of some sort to their soils to boost the nutrients and often other adjustments are necessary, too, such as pH.  For us, its the nutrients into the water, rather than into soil.

Diane K
very THANKFUL homeschool Mom to 9 blessings in
Christmas, FL
http://hocfarms.com