livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Diane Kann <dianek59@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 05:30:11 -0400

We do mostly hydroponics using a fish based fertilizer but are steadily moving toward more aquaponics where living fish feed the plants and the plants cleanse the water for the fish.  A good aquaponics system can be a complete eco-system.  For a school project, I might lean more toward the aquaponics model.  Fish can be grown for food (tilapia are popular) or simply for nutrient production (some use goldfish or koi for straight production)

Diane K
very THANKFUL homeschool Mom to 9 blessings in
Christmas, FL
http://hocfarms.com