livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:52:17 -0600

Well, there is a literary device known as hyperbole. What the finite planet
cannot support is all nations consuming at the rate we do here and in Europe
and other wealtheir nations. I've read that for that to happen we would need
eight planet Earths to support all the consumption, and that's probably a
good ballpark guess. For example we have 5% of the world's population and use
about 25% of the world's fossil fuels. If China with over a billion people
consume at the rate we do then there's no oil for the rest of the world. Then
there's India and all the rest.

So basically I agree with Ken, the population isn't the real problem; in my
perspective the root of the problem is wasteful consumption of the planet's
resources. Organic, no-till has the great advantage of not wasting fossil
fuels, of being mostly small scale, local, and sustainable. But fertilizer
and pesticides come from fossil fuels, and prices of fertilizer have doubled.
No-till cuts way down on the use of monster machines for cultivation etc, as
well as the (enormous) energy cost of manufacturing most of the farm
machinery for industrial agriculture. We should look at the big picture.

I see gasoline nationwide has hit $3.80 http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/ and
oil topped $133 a barrel today, double a year ago
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/21/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm .

A good time to be organic, no-till. Grocery prices go up; my growing costs
stay low.