livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:52:49 -0600

Brad is good, got his first volume from him a couple years ago in Abq. I
differ on them (permaculture seminars) making a living doing what they
believe in, since the ones I've heard of don't practice it, or they only
dabble in it. And Mollison himself has had serious fights with American
promoters of permaculture. I agree the concepts are needed. But sustainably
produced and affordable food right now for the masses is still our number one
agricultural need, and permaculture isn't meant to deal with that. It's a
design system, a theory, not a plan for high, sustainable production from the
least land. For my part I practice what I promote, a form of profitable,
affordable biointensive which is organic no-till plus other proven practices.
I rely on an unbroken line of growers and writers from Sir Albert Howard to
Chadwick and Jeavons, to the Rodales and Eliot Coleman, to Ken Hargescheimer
and Rolf Derpsh.