livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "McBride & Putnam" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why Bother With Permaculture?
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:53:58 -0500

Permaculture has gotten a bad rep from people wanting to make a quick buck using little bits of its overall system from what I can see.  You don't need to take a course to use permaculture.  Once you begin to read Mollison's books and others and gain a basic understanding you begin to live permaculture.  Permaculture is organic and no-till.  You might chisel-plow to open up severely compacted soil but sheet mulching, seed balls and other no-till methods are much prefered.  Permaculture can feed the world because it encourages society to rethink the unwieldy huge urban centers that have no means of feeding themselves without importing everything--make them less isolated from the country, introduce garden parks, make each home a small garden oasis.    And everything begins at our own doorstep, whether you live in a big city, a small town or the county.  Gray water is recycled, human and animal feces is composted,  in the summer the sun side of your home is cooled by shade from trees or vines--preferably some that can produce fruit and vegetables.  In the winter, that same sun is allowed to enter the windows of  your home to help warm your house.  Such simple principles to begin with--you don't need to pay thousands of dollars.  Herbs in pots in the kitches or or on the terrace or in a spiral just outside the door.  Not everyone can be a no-till organic gardener but everyone can be a permaculturist.

Claudia