livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Population

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Population
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

As education goes up, population goes down.  While business manager of a college in Nigeria I had a very enlightening experience.  I decided to teach a class one night about birth control.  So many were interested I had two nights; one for single people and one for married.  Both classes had people sitting in the windows and everywhere else.

In counties where people have little education and 25% of the children die by age five, the elderly told me that they have many children to assure that there will be enough to take care of them when they are old and cannot work.

The young, educated people want 1-3 children.