livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] mites in vermicompost bins

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dean" <andeanfx@midrivers.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] mites in vermicompost bins
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:40:32 -0600

The bins are in the dining room, of course, hhhmmmmm.  We checked them under a magnifier and are pretty sure they are mites, look like what we got on house plants a few years ago.  We also checked our soil pH and for some reason it is acidic.  We are using peat moss and unused shredded newspaper for bedding and table scrams that have been run through the food processor for food.  no grease/oils or meat.  We have increased the air circulation and have strips of banana peel with a bit of sugar on them to attract the critters so we can remove them and we are planning on putting a small amount of coral calcium on one half of the bin to facilitate the higher pH for the worms while we attract the mites to the other half.  ??????????

Dean

Keeping Your Memories Alive while
Creating Family Keepsakes
www.scrapbooksupplydepot.com